Monday 18 June 2007

The Power of Words

I just lifted up my weighty New English Dictionary and discovered a flat spider.
Poor thing.I had a few hours in the old dictionary at the weekend. This is something I do quite often. My experience is that I can easily find myself relying upon a favoured palette of words. An occasional refresher does the power of good.
So I flicked open at a random page and jotted down useful words as I read - words that I felt might come in handy in the chapter I'm currently working on, or words that have filtered through to the back of my head and gathered dust and needed a short jolt back into place. I think this happens to us all. I also jot down any cool words that I've never heard before; I'll probably never be able to use them because of their obscurity (and they would buffet the reader out of their 'trance'), but hey, I love words! And you never know when the appropriate context might present itself.

Here's my weekend harvest:

indolent
infect
iniquity
insatiable
insensate
insidious
insuperable
intaglio
intemperate
inviegle
isinglass (a kind of gelatine obtained from some freshwater fish)
jabot
jacinth
jangle
jaunty
jejune (simple, naive; meagre)
jocund
jonquil ([n] fragrant yellow or white narcissus; [adj] pale yellow)
judder
juggins
kermes
kibble
kist
knead
lacquer
lambent
lance
laniary
lapis lazuli

I guess it's a part of my style, my voice, but I have a fondness for old-fashioned words. For example, rather than use the word 'date' I'd prefer 'court'. With so many words to choose from, I do feel that, from time to time, it's worthwhile taking a step back and looking at the ones we have chosen. I find it beneficial picking through, say, an Aldous Huxley novel and adding to my style library. From the opening chapter to Antic Hay:

virtuous
fortify
conviction
portentous
tumbled
budding
importune
piety
pedagogue
orris root
swink
sumptuous
capricious
ignoble
abject
dispensation
decadence
umbrageous
clamorous
cherish
rapt
bedded
aureole
denigrate
trot
uncommonly
disinterested
luminous
sedentary

One of the advantages to this is that my child protags can use profanities such as 'harridan' or 'sook'.

I also have readily-accessible lists of useful synonyms, mainly colours and textures, that I have built over the years from every source I can find.

So, if ever you feel that your voice needs an injection of adrenaline, reach for the writer's friend (even if Hemingway was disparaging about writers who use dictionaries).

No comments: